The First Step in Learning to Fly
Algoa Flight Centre will show you how easy it is to spread your wings and discover freedom.
Discover how flying gets you where you want to be, safely and quickly. If your goal is personal use of this unique form of transport whether for business or pleasure then the Private Pilot Licence will be all you need to meet your needs.
All pilots have to begin as student pilots. These exciting initial steps will form the foundation of your aviation career!
Entry Requirements for a Student Pilot Licence
- An applicant for a Student Pilot Licence must be 16 years or older, and must hold a valid Class 2 medical certificate. Algoa Flight Centre can arrange the necessary medical examination for you.
- There are no other specific entrance requirements but some knowledge of basic mathematics and a good command of the English language are strongly recommended. We are able to arrange an Aviation English course on your behalf if required.
Once registered as a student pilot, your training can begin.
Your instructor will provide you with step by step training in the form of flight training exercises. These will consist of a pre-flight briefing, the training flight, and a post-flight de-briefing.
Before going solo, you will be evaluated by a Grade II or higher instructor (someone other than your regular instructor), and you will be required to undergo two formal written tests:
- Air Law, as appropriate to student pilots; and
- Aircraft Knowledge, covering the aircraft make and model used for your training
Validity of a Student Pilot Licence
- A Student Pilot Licence is valid for a period of 2 years from the date of issue, provided the annual currency fees are paid.
- The holder must be in the possession of a valid Class 1 or Class 2 medical certificate, and the licensing authority must be in possession of a copy of the medical certificate.
Privileges and limitations of a Student Pilot Licence
As a student pilot, you will be permitted certain privileges, subject to the certain limitations:
- You may only fly solo for the purpose of training for the applicable pilot licence in the type of aircraft endorsed in your logbook. Any flight you undertake must be authorised and supervised by your instructor.
- You may not carry passengers.
- You may not cross international boundaries on your flight.
- You may only fly in Visual Meteorological Conditions (VMC), by day.
- You may only take off from a licensed airfield.
- Except in an emergency, you may only land at a licensed airfield.
Requirements for a Private Pilot Licence (Aeroplane)
To be issued your Private Pilot Licence, you must:
- be 17 years or older – however, your training may begin at age 16.
- hold a valid Class 1 or Class 2 medical certificate.
- hold at least a valid restricted certificate of proficiency in radiotelephony (aeronautical). There is a Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) exam that must be written and passed.
You must pass the following CAA exams with a mark of 75% or higher:
- Aviation Meteorology
- Flight Performance and Planning
- General Navigation
- Aircraft General
- Principles of Flight
- Human Performance and Limitations
- Air Law
Ground School preparation classes are held regularly, and students are provided with all the materials necessary to complete the practical and theoretical requirements.
- There is a minimum of 45 hours flight time required.
- At least 25 hours are dual instruction in aeroplanes, which must include 5 hours instrument instruction time.
- At least 15 hours are accumulated in solo flight, of which at least five hours are cross-country flight time.
- The solo cross-country flight time must include one triangular cross-country flight of at least 150 nautical miles (NM), on which at least one point must be not less than 50 NM from base and must include full-stop landings at two different aerodromes away from base.
- A maximum of five hours dual instruction may be in our FNPTII simulator.
The course can be completed in 8 to 10 weeks, full-time, or you may prefer to spread it over several months in a part-time capacity. Algoa Flight Centre can accommodate the flying schedule to meet your individual needs.